Romania's National Day - December 1st


It's December 1st, Romania's National Day. We're celebrating it with a day off, a military parade downtown Bucharest (and other cities) and, later in the evening, with a grand opening of the winter holidays season by turning on the Christmas lights everywhere in the city. People are going out to see the parade this morning at 11 a.m., then going out again tonight to see the Christmas lights. My DD Andreea wants to go out with my grandson Nicholas, so he can see the tanks, cars and missels, airplanes which he loves so much, like every little boy at 2 years old...and older!
I'm going to stay at home and watch the parade and the lights on TV...yeah, I know, I'm getting old...NOT!!!!!LOL
I took some pics while watching the parade on TV. The soldiers marched through the Arch of  Triumph.
















I'd love to go out, but I still have to dig in the garden...a few more feet and I'm done. I want to finish it this week-end because bad weather is coming. We already had a freeze this morning after so many unusually warm days, so I'd better hurry and finish digging...it's been exhausting, but I'm not complaining - it's good for my figure!LOL


Talking about my DD Andreea, yesterday was her day of name, St. Andrew (Andrei in Romanian). Everyone named Andreea or Andrei (for the boys/ men) are celebrating their day of name. It was not only a celebration, but also a day off (yeah!!!) because St. Andrew is the Protector Saint of Romania, therefore November 30 is a day off all around the country. This year, with a Saturday and Sunday coming after these 2 holidays, we're having a small vacation. The warm weather invites us out, so many are already celebrating in the mountains or seaside resorts.
In Romania we have an old tradition on St. Andrew day of sowing wheat inside. The wheat has to be sowed in a small pot, on wet cotton or in plain soil. I always sow one bowl for each member of our family. This year we're only 3 : me, my husband and my son.






Tradition says that if the wheat will grow high and healthy, next year will be good for the family. If it won't grow well, the family will have a bad year. This is so true and I happened to check it every year. The last one was weird when the wheat started to grow well, but a week before the New Year's Eve started to dry off and died . I tried to tell myself that it was just a myth, but it was going to be true : all this year was bad, we had many debts and hardly could keep up. Also, many arguments between us in the family because of the lack of money. Yet, I thank God that we're healthy and have our jobs. This year I'm looking forward to see how my wheat will grow...hopefully it will be well!



Comments

Popular Posts