Celebrating St. Nicholas



It's been a week since I last posted, but only because I had too much excitement and didn't have time to post. My grandson Nicholas came over to my place on Friday to celebrate St. Nicholas. He received a lot of gifts in his boots, but then everyone else did, although not so many. Nicholas is 2 and he is a very good child, although his Mom wouldn't agree. I find it easy to get along with him, even when he gets stubborn. Being a Grandma means to be wiser and more patient than the parent. I don't know if I'm wiser, but I have definitely  more patience when it comes to my Grandson.
St. Nicholas is a special celebration for everyone in our country and we're all enjoying the gifts, both kids and adults. I still remember how I always found a bag with marshmallows in my boots which my Grandma had put in there...I knew that she was St. Nicholas for me, but it was always such fun to pretend St. Nicholas was real.
Tradition goes on and I've been St. Nicholas for my children too, but now my DD is St. Nicholas for her son, Nicholas. He is a happy and fortunate child because he had lots of gifts in his boots (and around them!), unlike his Mom and Uncle, - or me and my husband - when we were kids. We used to get  a few sweets, but Nicholas has got many sweets, and toys too. Moreover, we also had a gift for him when he arrived at our place : more sweets and oranges!
The most exciting gift for him was the kinder surprise egg. He loves the chocolate and also the surprise inside the egg . He shivers with excitement when he sees it! Too bad the kids nowadays aren't allowed to eat many sweets...in fact, they can't eat anything sweet (meaning with sugar) until they are 3 years old. Must be important for them to stay out of sweets, but for us seems cruel. Only I have to agree with the doctors. I remember me or my children who had cavities in our teeth from eating too many sweets. If only this would be the reason and it would be worth it.
Anyway, coming back to our lovely family day, I can say it was wonderful, yet exausting. We had a nice family brunch, then dinner too. We sang Happy Anniversary to Nicholas and to Grandpa Nicolae and we played with Nicholas , who has so much energy to get everyone in the family exausted until his bed time!LOL
During the day, although it was cold outside, we all went out to make the BBQ. While men were doing the fire and barbequing the meat (we had sausages, the famous "mititei" , chicken for the baby and pork) DD played football (soccer) with Nicholas and I made a tomatoes soup with dumplings.
After dinner, we all watched TV, but Nicholas wanted to play and who else would have been more eager to play with him than me? First we chased one another, then he wanted to play football (soccer) again. When it was time for him to go to bed, I was exausted and went to bed too. Same happened the next day, after they left . Although I had sore feet for 3 days and had to just lay down and do nothing, I was so happy that I could play with my Grandson, hear him talking so funny - same as they all are talking at this age - and be with my DD and the whole family too.
We have made plans for Christmas and New Years Eve, so I'm looking forward for our next gathering.

Comments

Popular Posts