Fall Canning - Vegetable Salad with Mustard Mayonnaise

I'm coming back here later than I would have wanted, but only because I have been busy gardening. Even if it's fall, I still have a lot to do in the garden. After I finished harvesting the vegetables from the veggie garden, I had to can them and clean the garden , then start digging. Canning took me about a week in October and another week in November. I had lots of green tomatoes to can, therefore I could make pickles and also a winter salad. Let's talk today about the winter salad.
This is something I've always wanted to do. A friend of mine used to make it when we were very young, but since it needed so many vegetables - which I couldn't have found at the market in those times - I never made it. My friend had the neccesary vegetables from her Mom's garden in the countryside. This fall, a colleague from work told me about this salad and other 2 sauces which she was making and canning for the winter. I asked her about the recipe and this is what I got :

Winter salad with mustard mayonnaise

- sweet peppers 2lbs
- bell peppers 2 lbs
- kapia peppers 2 lbs
- carrots 2 lbs
- onions 2 lbs
- green tomatoes 6 lbs
- 1 cup mustard
- 1 quart sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons cusher salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2-3 laurel leaves
- 4-5 pepper berries

You need to wash all vegetables first.



Turn to boil water, vinegar, salt, sugar, laurel leaves and pepper. You will need a sieve to drain the vegetables.

Start slicing the peppers, green tomatoes, onions and grate the carrots.





Start boiling the vegetables for 5 minutes, the peppers first. I added as much as the pot could take untill all the peppers were boiled. Each batch had to stay in the sieve for draining well.

Carrots have to stay longer, for 10 minutes.

Let all drain well until the next day. Make a mustard mayonnaise with the mustard and sunflower oil. Use a mixer or your food processor. Add the mayonnaise over the vegetables and stir well.




Can the salad in jars and store in a cold place.


That's it for today, guys.

Comments

Popular Posts